Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bulls in Muck

"Bulls in Muck" SOLD
7" x 7" acrylic on gessoed masonite
4/18/2009 Received 'Honorable Mention' in painting category
in "Georgia in Bloom"

Normally pastoral scenes are luscious green grass and sleek colorful cows...not so, this one! The reference photo of these young 'white' Charolais bulls after an early spring rain was taken in Alabama from the window of my car while stopped at a traffic light. To the right of this pasture was a school and to the left was a car lot. There was a large red barn in the far ground that looked like it was slowly sinking into the ground with age. I'll paint that on another day.

I had fun with this one because I painted it in my lap and allowed myself to noodle to my hearts content with little brushes and do repeated glazes. I purposefully left it 'unprecise' to accentuate the gritty feel of dirt and the fleeting glimpse of this scene as urbanity takes over the land it inhabits.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now this is an authentic slice of American Country Viewing... lovely Pat!