Saturday, November 21, 2009

Focus

"Focus". . . . it's a hard thing sometimes for an artist when everything is so interesting! I've been reading "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron (for about the tenth time!) and know that the spiraling path that is my life, therefore my art, is taking me in a new direction. By pulling the focus back and taking an overview, I get a better idea of where I really want to go. This is something that I must do at least yearly because I am so easily distracted and sometimes swayed by external forces. So, as the new year approaches, I will put my feet back on the path toward my goals. In doing so, I realize that I might look erratic to some around me . . . especially those who are not artists.
Recently I read an article that stated "art is an expression of being alive". It helped me see that my narrow 'busy-ness' was blocking my ability to fling my arms open and welcome a wider experience. What truly is important? Where are my priorities? My art reflects the answers. I am looking forward to the future and the discoveries that come with it.
I might be a little early, but I hope that you will take some time as 2009 comes to an end, hug yourself close and reflect what it means to you to be an artist.

No comments: