Friday, July 2, 2010

Golden Girls

"Golden Girls"
18.5" x 23.5" oil on birch veneer

I'm afraid the photo of this one just does not do it justice.  The underlying paint is gold and silver metallic acrylic with a bit of white, then the oil sketch was done on top of that. The painting is reflective according to the light source, hence the difficulty in photographing it.
The reference photo was a sepia tone.  I wanted to keep the flavor of the time period intact, but make it something special. My thought was that this was a golden era that our fast, high-tech world has left behind.  That's what gave me the idea of the gold background.  I was very pleased with the results.  
This painting is another of the ones created for the Darien show from member photos... this one coming from Judy Dodd, who is also an artist.

No comments: