Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Robin


"Robin"
16"x20" acrylic & oil on canvas

My sister-in-law, Robin, died this past Sunday from cancer. I painted this for my husband, her older brother, to help him deal with her loss. It was a healing day for me as well as I tried to capture her likeness. At first I envisioned a pastel color scheme, but any woman in her fifties who would ride a Harley through the North Georgia mountains is simply not a pastel personality! So I painted Robin as vividly as I remember her.

The left-hand portion of morning sunlight coming through the pines represents her birth in middle Georgia, which is where she spent most of her life. The right-hand portion of the sunset over the mountains represents the last decade or so that she and her husband spent in North Georgia, with the chapel depicting her belief in Jesus Christ. The lower portion is a soft depiction of Robin's hands as she applied lotion to my husband's hands in the hospital as a way of consoling him and wordlessly letting him know that "All is well with my soul".

No comments: