Monday, May 11, 2009

WIP - "Winning Her Over"

I never seem to be able to get one finished (still working on the cowboys!) before I get excited about a new one... in this case, three new ones! This series of three paintings shows my Dad winning over the cautious adoration of my grandbaby, Brooke. I can read his lips as he sings "Won't You Come Over My House?" just as he did when I was a little girl.

Shirley Stafford, an excellent artist friend of mine, suggested I do an underpainting in yellow on these, so I'm giving it a try. They are in oils and each canvas is 24" x 30" x 1-1/2" gallery wrap.
Still lots and lots to do, but I think I'm going to leave the background very simple with just the hint of the window, focusing all the attention on the relationship of my Daddy to his great granddaughter.

5 comments:

Cori Lynn Berg said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I like the yellow underpainting. It gives it a warm, glowy, by the fire, passage of time feel. Good choice and I agree to keep the background simple to really focus on this interplay between adult and child. Just amazing. Really!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful series this is! Has that warm gushy feeling in the pit of your tummy Norman Rockwell kind of feel.

Pat Burns said...

Many thanks...these are very special to me for obvious reasons!

Diana Marshall said...

Beautiful painting and so touching, a wonderful moment captured on canvas.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Fabulous! you really caught the action.