Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Hickories Beyond


"The Hickories Beyond"... SOLD
36"x48" oil on gessoed masonite

Well, a friend helped me decide what to do with the tree painting ... sign it!

This was painted from a reference photo that I took while standing in deep shade within our woods, looking out into a very bright mid-day in fall. The sun on the hickories was a brilliant yellow while the shadowed understory of dogwood was muted and soft. It made for a very interesting juxtaposition of textures and colors. The perspective looking upward gives the viewer an intimate feeling of being within the scene. The painting technique is a softer approach than most of my work and I think that's what made me wonder if it was finished initially, but it's definitely what the scene called for. See... sometimes waiting can be a good thing!
Prints are available on Imagekind but only up to 11"x15".

No comments: